ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mail]

The Max is $2000...

  • To: stld-rfp-mail@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: The Max is $2000...
  • From: HwaRang@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:12:37 EDT

For those concerned about price, reading the FAQ about .mail may help clear up the proporsed $2000.  In short, it is set at $2000 because then the price can not go higher than that, but it can be lower... and it was stated that it probably will be.

23) Will the cost for domain use ever be changed? Higher or lower?
Higher - No, ICANN rules governing every TLD state that the price cannot be raised at any time.

Lower - Yes, we are working on solutions based on other verification processes and other ways or running the TLD system to minimize costs. We belive that an increasing volume of registrations will also help bring the price down to a level where more can afford the cost, but a level that will still allow us to keep the spammers from using the system.

The ideal pricing model for use of the .mail TLD would be less than it is currently set at, but since the price cannot be raised, in the application to ICANN it was listed at the highest end of the range needed to cover the costs of starting a new TLD, building the infrastructure and the ongoing costs validating applications.