ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mobi]

Please, allow consumers choices

  • To: <stld-rfp-mobi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Please, allow consumers choices
  • From: <ritva.siren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:34:43 +0300

This response is specifically for Andrew Goldman.

A single connection name per person isn't enough for consumers.

Some examples:

As a caller (who in many countries pays it all) I may want to choose the cheapest
connection and therefore
want to be sure, that I get a VoIP connection over Internet. ...and regardless of what
is said, I personally don't
believe, that all prices are going to be equal any time soon.

As a caller I may want to be sure to reach a specific person, not just a random member
of the family . Therefore
I choose the personal/cellular connectivity name.

As a caller I may want to be sure, that I reach somebody at home, not on the other side
of the world. It doesn't
matter, which family member I reach and therefore I choose the family connection name.

As a caller I may need an urgent discussion with somebody and therefore need a
possibility to bypass all pre-set
preferences and get a connection to a mobile device to reach the owner. This of course
should not be misused,
but the need is still there.

As a busy professional I may want to cut my work connectivity on my own time, while
still receiving private calls
with the same handset and therefore I need separate names for business and private
connectivity.

We could find plenty of similar examples.

Above means, that I indeed may and probably want to have choices to combine
connectivity under one name, but ADDITIONALLY I definitely need and want to have
separate application and node level names, which easily
associate with different connectivity types, be it then business or technical or social
reasons.

That need is one key reason, why we need .mobi as an easy to recognize global
differentiator for mobile personal
connectivity. Other communication businesses should take care of their related
interests.

Ritva Siren
Nokia