ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mobi]

Mobile is a business and a system, not a mere access technology

  • To: <stld-rfp-mobi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Mobile is a business and a system, not a mere access technology
  • From: <ritva.siren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:54:37 +0300

Dear Andrew,

I'm sorry, that my explanation was not clear enough.

I didn't mean to talk about any particular access technology. I was talking about
mobile communications including future IP based mobile communications as businesses and
as end to end solutions, whatever wireless technology is used. Enhancing the
possibilities of mobile businesses for new and current service providers and extending
usable service offerings for mobile users to new areas is the justification and the
basis for the need to have a mobile TLD.

As you probably know, there already are technically quite good mobile solutions e.g.
over WiFi, but what is still missing is pervasive subscriber  reachability in wider
scale over those solutions. mTLD is considered to cover naming needs of those mobile
solutions as well and by innovative combinations of e.g. cellular WAN and WiFi
solutions consumers can have best sides of both worlds.

Best Regards,

Ritva Siren