ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mobi]

Mobi - a Service Provider perspective

  • To: <stld-rfp-mobi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Mobi - a Service Provider perspective
  • From: "valerio.marques@xxxxxxxxxx" <valerio.marques@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 23:14:23 +0100

Dear all,

I have been reading the comments concerning the proposal of the .mobi TLD. Being a Service Provider for mobile services and applications, I'd like to contribute with my own perspective.

I will not discuss about the risks of monopoly, walled gardens and others that people have pointed out. I accept there are points that should be subject to ICANN's analysis. However, it also seems that the discussion is largely biased by these risks. If we are going to look at all the possible disadvantages it is only fair that we also take a look at the possible advantages. The internet itself is full of weaknesses and risks. Take the spamming, viruses and similar plagues. Should we dismantle the internet then? Of course not. Why not? Because we all know there are a lot more upsides than downsides.

So, what has the Mobile Service Provider to benefit from the creation of .mobi? I have listed a few advantages:

1. Unique mobile internet addresses
Once we have the possibility of having a unique mobile internet address, we can start using better methods of data communication between the  mobile users and any central service or application. Let me give an example. Because in GPRS IPs are given dinamically to the mobile terminal, today, it is hard to use it to send data from a central computer to a GPRS terminal (no problem the other way around, of course). What is usually done instead is to send an SMS to the terminal (because the MSISDN is fixed, thank God) and request the terminal to connect over GPRS with the central computer (which has a fixed IP). This is not very efficient, of course, and in the end the user will spend more money (1 extra SMS).

With unique mobile internet addresses, this problem would be solved.

2. Security and control
The same is valid for the validation of subscriptions, for access control, downloading applications, etc. Today we have to rely on username and password. The MSISDN is unique, but cannot be used as data in, say, web communications. Only if we use SMS. Ironic. Our applications progressed from SMS to GPRS but we lost security features...

3. Common layout guidelines for .mobi sites
I have a Phone PDA and a Communicator. They both promise web access. But the experience is not what I had wished for. Only a few pages were really tailored to be used by PDA's, Communicators or Smartphones. Even getting there is not easy. Chances are you will click a link that gives you a regular web page (made for PCs). Its is slow, boring.

4. Locating pages for mobile devices
My company also has some web and wap pages thought for PDAs and phones. But, unless I tell you what the full URL is, how do you know? Is it www.myCompany.com/wap? Is it wap.myCompany.com? Is it something else? Imagine that you are looking for it using your PDA. My guess is you would give up in no time. Now, if the .mobi TLD existed, you would try myCompany.mobi at once. And I promise you that we would make sure to have myCompany.mobi ready to receive you and other visitors. This is no minor issue, I think, when it comes to promoting and fostering the mobile internet.

It is true that we could go on using .com TLD instead of creating a specific TLD for mobile services and applications. But it is not working, is it? There is no driving or compelling force that makes every mobile service provider to use the same nomenclatures and every mobile user to search the same way. The .mobi TLD can be that driving force.

There are many more advantages to this initiative, when it comes to mobile service providers, but I stop here. In the end, the pros will have to be compared with the cons.