ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mobi]

Additional responses from applicants of the mTLD

  • To: <stld-rfp-mobi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Additional responses from applicants of the mTLD
  • From: <ritva.siren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 02:02:54 +0300

In recent postings there are several repeats of claims and comments, which were already
addressed in our previous responses. Instead of repeating them, we kindly ask that
commenters read our responses of 28th and 29th of April.
There are comments that the mTLD applicants try to enhance their own business.  The
only success in mass-market businesses can come from end user acceptance of products
and services and we see mTLD to be a key component in the goal of having user-friendly
mobile services over Internet. Therefore, the benefit for the users and the success for
our businesses are inseparable.
Complaint, that registrants and especially operator registrants in the mTLD would name
their own subscribers within their domains is interesting. Why wouldn't they? Isn't
that part of the regular Internet naming practice today? In general this type of
accusations are not relevant to the TLD application in general. It doesn't matter,
whether the mTLD exists or not for that naming practice to happen.
Some comments oppose the right of the mobile industry to be innovative, while at the
same time denying, that mobile has any special characteristics. Perhaps that is, why
after all this time Internet still doesn't have wider scale mobile services, while
other sectors of Internet technologies have evolved strongly. While preparing our
application we assumed and still believe, that majority of Internet developers will be
excited about the task to test and get proof of the usability of our common Internet
also for the mobile services and of possibility to participate in the new
opportunities, which will be generated.
A couple of comments claim that the advancement of mobile network and handset
technologies closes the gap to the PC services forgetting the simultaneous advancement
of the PC and wireline technologies . As we have said before there will obviously be
for a long time a gap between what capacity wireline access can offer versus the per
subscriber capacity over WAN and WLAN access as well as a gap between regular laptops
and smaller form factor handsets.
Some claims use implementation examples of single operators or countries as
justifications of why an mTLD is not needed even when admitting that specific mobile
services have been built to cover differences of PC use and handset use and specific
name conventions are used.  However, we believe it to be closer to the true Internet
spirit to go after content and related naming solutions that encompass operator,
country, wireless access technology and manufacturer boundaries. The aim is to extend
possibilities for end users to use their mobile devices and services in widest possible
settings, considering that many mobile handsets already today and in future even more
widely can be and are used globally while travelling.
There is also an interesting conflict between claims of mTLD being too large and on the
other hand too limiting. Perhaps the average of that is that the community is about
what it should be. We are in process of building a Support Organization, which at the
time of founding the Mobi JV company will have representation of all of the sectors of
the community.
We have elected to not make some of the application information public at this time.
However, the evaluators and the ICANN staff have access to the full application
material. It is made  clear throughout the application, that registration in the mTLD
will be open to all mobile users and service providers, that we use public standards
and that only real specialties in it all is the implementation of requirements of
mobility.
Innovation comes from competition of different approaches. The mTLD is one of such
approaches for future of communications services. We therefore hope that ICANN doesn't
decide to negatively impact a possibility of a large business to develop their consumer
services in ways they see being the best practices for the consumers and for the
business and at the same time bring new possibilities to other parties as well..

On behalf of the mTLD applicants

Ritva Siren