ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mobi]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

New Questions for Mobi JV

• To: stld-rfp-mobi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: New Questions for Mobi JV
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 09:50:25 -0700 (PDT)

In various answers to this forum, Ritva Siren, from Nokia has confirmed that mobile operators intended to register their subscribers on the third level (i.e.. siren<at>vodafone.mobi).

This raises several questions:

1) Will the pricing of second level domain names for mobile operators with large subscriber bases (i.e. vodafone.mobi), who will therefore have numerous third level registrations (i.e. siren<at>vodafone.mobi ...), be the same as for a small content provider with no sub-domain registrations?
  (i) If this is the case, then the projections in your business model are too optimistic: if all the mobile operators go for third level registrations and pay only $6.00 for their second level domain name, and assume approximately 1000 operators in world, that only yields an annual revenue of $6000!
  (ii) If this is not the case and second level domain names for mobile operators will be determined by the number of sub-registrations, could you please explain your innovative pricing policy?

2) What role will be left for Icann accredited registrars if subscribers are under the third level of .mobi? Will mobile operators pay them a fee depending on the number of sub-registrations to offset their losses in second level registrations?

3) If subscribers receive their third level registrations 'free of charge' because mobile operators bundle them with other services, wouldn't other registries, especially the ccTLD registries in emerging markets, be hurt? Wouldn't this be a case of unfair competition?

4) Finally, how does mobi-jv intend to deal with portability? Clearly, registering a subscriber under the second level of mobile operators introduces an element of customer stickiness that goes against recent European regulations.

I look forward to reading your answers.

Andrew Goldman

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Movies - Buy advance tickets for 'Shrek 2'

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy