ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-travel]

SUBJECT: 1800CheapSeats supports New.net's dotTravel and their efforts

  • To: <stld-rfp-travel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: SUBJECT: 1800CheapSeats supports New.net's dotTravel and their efforts
  • From: "tom spagnola" <tspagnola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 17:42:09 -0700

1800CheapSeats.com was established in 1987 and has become one of the top
airline consolidators in the country.  As President of 1800CheapSeats, a
New.net domain name holder since April 2001 (cheapseats.travel), we have
benefited from the intuitive names offered by New.net and its dotTravel
registry.  The name represents a unique Web moniker to
help promote our Web activities and increase traffic and revenues for our business.

I strongly believe that any effort to introduce a new, conflicting .travel
TLD into the Internet would be a mistake for our customers, and
consumers in general.  Not only would such a move be irresponsible, but
it would run contrary to the efforts of organizations such as ICANN
whose stated mission it is to promote Internet stability.

So, in lieu of any formal arrangement between Tralliance and New.net to
grandfather all New.net .travel name holders into the newly proposed
sTLD, ICANN should not approve this application.

I hope that someday ICANN and New.net will have the opportunity to work
more closely together to introduce better naming conventions for
Internet users.  Thank you in advance for your time and consideration on
this very important matter.

Tom Spagnola, President
1800CheapSeats.com
1-818-717-8490