ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[strategic-plan-comments]

preliminary comments on the time provided for consideration, understanding, feedback, and consultation on the Strategic Plan

  • To: <strategic-plan-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: preliminary comments on the time provided for consideration, understanding, feedback, and consultation on the Strategic Plan
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <mscade@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:56:07 -0500

I appreciate that ICANN has posted the Strategic Plan for community review
and consideration and comment. However, I note that the time provided to the
Community for comment is not adequate. ICANN proposes a two month comment
period, but there are multiple intervening periods of time when major parts
of the concerned and interested community members are not available - due to
travel to the ICANN Public/Board meeting; holidays in most regions of the
world. I would suspect that at least 3 weeks of the 8 week period that is
provided for in the timeline is not actually available to most interested
parties, whether they are corporations, individuals, or NGOs, or
governmental representatives.

I'm sure this is an unfortunate outcome of over scheduling. However, the
Strategic Plan deserves full consideration and the opportunity to gain a
better understanding of the Strategic Plan. ICANN should reconsider the time
suggested for the public comment process and extend it in order to provide
for bottom up consideration and consultation with the global community.