ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stratplan-2010]

comments from .af ccTLD

  • To: <stratplan-2010@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: comments from .af ccTLD
  • From: "zmarialai" <zmarialai.wafa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:08:52 +0430

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks very much for your email. As you may know, Afghanistan only recently got
the membership of ICANN and I must say it's an honor for us to be part of this
esteemed family and we look forward to your continued support with us.

I read through the draft Strategy Plan and I will say it is very well designed
and very well written. At this point, there is not much MCIT would comment on
but there are a couple of issues I thought I would flag with you.

1) .AF ccTLD is a non-profit organization owned by the government of
Afghanistan and managed by MCIT. Having that said and considering Afghanistan a
Land Locked Country, I believe we will not be in a position to cover the fees
of USD 26,000 + the 1.3% from annual profits. I would like to check with you if
there is a way these 2 costs could be waved off from us. Our membership with
ICANN is very important to us and we would greatly appreciate if we could be
given any support in the regards of the 2 costs.

2) As far as the languages are concerned, just like Urdu or Persian, in Pashto
we have 5 different types of the alphabet "ی" the Unicode for this letter are
(06cc, 064A, 06D0, 06CD, 0226) and we imagine this will create a lot of problem
for us in future and I would like to hear your views/suggestions on how we can
overcome this.

That is it from .af ccTLD we once again appreciate your cooperation and support
and I look forward to hear from you.

Regards,

Zmarialai Wafa

General Manager AfgNIC (Afghanistan Network Information Center)

Chief Security Officer AFCERT (Cyber Emergency Response Team)

Ministry of Communication and IT, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan

(C) +93 700 28 38 68 || (O) +93 20-210 26 84 || (W)  <http://www.mcit.org.af/>
www.mcit.org.af