ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[sync-idn-cctlds]

Comment on Proposed Implementation Plan for Synchronized IDN ccTLDs

  • To: <sync-idn-cctlds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment on Proposed Implementation Plan for Synchronized IDN ccTLDs
  • From: "Kan Kaili" <kankaili@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:27:09 +0800

Dear Sir/Madam,

Regarding the "Proposed Implementation Plan for Synchronized IDN ccTLDs" (at
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/idn/fast-track/proposed-plan-synchronized-idn-cctlds-22mar10-en.pdf),
 I would like to express my full support.

Nowadays, "netizens" using Chinese as their primary language has become one of
the largest user groups in the world.  However, because of historical reasons,
they use two different sets of characters, traditional and simplified.  For
example, most people in Taiwan and Hong Kong use the traditional character set,
while most people in Mainland China and Singapore use the simplified.  In
addition, even in the same area, different people may use characters from
different sets.  An example is that, some elderly people in Mainland China tend
to use the traditional set, while younger people in the same families use the
simplified one.

What should be noticed is, although characters in these two sets directly
correspond to each other, but, if an Internet user just wants to type in a
single Internet address in a different character set, he/she cannot do it
easily.  That is, the user must change the computer's basic settings with much
trouble.  Making the matter more complicated, many computers do not have the
other character set installed (or not even available), while some application
software may neither fully support both character sets.

Therefore, any possibility to accelerate the above mentioned plan's approval
and implimentation is of special importance and great benefit to the world's
over 20% population who speak, read and write Chinese.

Furthermore, so far I do not see the above mentioned plan to present any
significant technical difficulties, any current or potential threats to the
Internet, or any current or potential harm to any third parties in the Internet
world.

Therefore, I fully support this plan and would highly appreciate its approval
by ICANN in a timely manner.  I believe that its early implementation will
benefit the success of the Internet, as well as the success of ICANN itself.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Best regards,
Kaili KAN, Professor
School of Economics & Management
Beijing Univ. of Posts & Telecommunications (BUPT)
Email: kankaili@xxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +86-13901178339
Office: +86-10-62283083