ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[tld-acceptance]

[tld-acceptance] Re: [ga] RFC s/gTLDs

  • To: tld-acceptance@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [tld-acceptance] Re: [ga] RFC s/gTLDs
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:48:09 -0700

Eric and all,

  Mr Klinsen's view is one that he has held for many years, and as such
is necessarily dated in the expanding internet/DNS.  Multiple root
structures have been with us now for about 3 years, which Mr. Klinsen
refuses to recognize or understand.  Hence given the forced
fragmentation
of the DNS by the policies ICANN BOD's have enacted without the
consent or the stakeholders/users has now forced or made necessary
many different DNS root structures with different sets of rules and
requirements that are not in keeping with ICANN's view.  However
with cooperation from the USG/ICANN root structure, many of these
difficulties can be overcome.

  Hence than, the answer to your question remains that RFC's are
no longer a hard and fast set of guidelines by which many countries
are willing to follow...

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    In reviewing the matter of RFCs it appears that in general RFCs are

> technical aspect regarding protocol subjects in how systems work in a
> mechanical manner.
>
> I see these as important tools for guiding legal and contractual minds
> in determining standards of industry in order to help understand
> whether or not a party is in compliance with reasonable non negligent
> behavior within what is customary in the trade.
>
> However, not really. The RFCs are not practice oriented they are Ivory
> Tower oriented. They seem to reflect what problems there are and
> intellectual solutions to the problems.
> I do not recognize; Social, Economic, Moral, Ethical, conflict of
> laws, Jurisdiction considerations going into these RFCs.
> An example is when I was looking into the gTLD concerns and the new
> list;
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/tld-acceptance/msg00002.html
> There does not seem to be appropriate practical policy guidance here.
> I suppose ccTLDs are sovereign and sacrosanct. But why would RFCs be
> different for them?
>
> Eric

Regards,

--