ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[tmch-strawman]

Support of Limited Preventative Registration and Strawman Solution proposals

  • To: tmch-strawman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Support of Limited Preventative Registration and Strawman Solution proposals
  • From: david.golden@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 17:09:22 -0600

January 8, 2013

Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
Public Comments on Trademark Clearinghouse "Strawman Solution" and Limited
Preventive Registrations

Via e-mail to tmch-strawman@xxxxxxxxx

Re: Support of Limited Preventative Registration and Strawman Solution
proposals

Dear ICANN Staff:

The Property Casualty Insurers Association of America represents over
1,000 insurance companies that write nearly 40 percent of business, home
and auto insurance in the United States. As brand holders concerned about
the consumers purchasing our products, as well as our corporate
reputations, we write to encourage ICANN to adopt both the Limited
Preventative Registration (LPR) and ?Strawman? proposals.

We remain concerned that the inadequate protections thus far proffered by
ICANN could leave brands, and the consumers relying on them, at risk for
deception on the Web. Strawman extends the operating time of the Trademark
Clearinghouse but is still a short-term tool that will only delay
cybersquatters that would either take advantage of consumers outright or
attempt to sell domains to trademark holders whose businesses and
reputations are at stake.

LPR, on the other hand, creates a limited means for trademark owners to
prevent second-level registration of their marks (exact matches, plus
character strings previously determined to have been abusively registered
or used) across all registries, upon payment of a reasonable fee, with
appropriate safeguards for registrants with a legitimate right or
interest. It is not the ?Do Not Sell? approach that would best protect
consumers and trademark holders; however, LPR provides a means for
trademark holders to achieve limited protection for key second-level
domain names across all gTLDs. This approach provides significantly better
protection for consumers and trademark holders than does Strawman alone.

We need not repeat the comments of trademark holders that demonstrate the
current scale of trademark abuse in second-level domains with just 22 TLDs
available. However, we refer to them as evidence of the need for ICANN to
take effective action to prevent both fraud that victimizes consumers and
needless loss of jobs around the world that trademark holders could create
if they did not have to spend the money on defensive registrations. ICANN
can help fulfill its promise of encouraging Internet economic development
by taking immediate action to implement Limited Preventive Registrations.

Sincerely,
Rita Nowak
Rita Nowak
Vice President, Commercial Lines and Workers Compensation