ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[tmch-strawman]

Comments on Trademark Clearinghouse "Strawman Solution" and LPR

  • To: tmch-strawman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on Trademark Clearinghouse "Strawman Solution" and LPR
  • From: robyn_y_ettricks@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 17:49:53 -0500

Sir or Madam:

        I write to you on behalf of The Vanguard Group, Inc., one of the
largest mutual fund, financial services and investment management
companies in the world.  Vanguard has over 22 million shareholders and
manages $2 trillion in U.S. assets under management.  For more
information, please visit our website at www.vanguard.com.

        Vanguard supports the adoption of both enhanced trademark Rights
Protection Mechanism (RPM) proposals, specifically, the Limited
Preventative Registrations (LPR) and "Strawman Solution."  Both proposals
are necessary to provide a minimum of protection for Internet users and
brand owners.  However, although the Strawman Solution is a step in the
right direction, the proposal as drafted regarding the Claims 2 process is
insufficient.  Rather, the Trademark Clearinghouse should continue in
perpetuity without diminishing the protection it offers.

        Indeed, we believe the LPR is the more favorable of the two
proposed RPMs to provide Vanguard and our shareholders and prospects
long-term protection from false and misleading domain names and websites.
Without the LPR, Vanguard will be forced to incur significant costs to
defensively register second-level domain names in hundreds of new gTLDs,
at prohibitive expense, to protect our consumers and our brand.

        Thank you for your consideration.

Robyn Y. Ettricks, Esq.
Associate Counsel, Intellectual Property & Technology
Vanguard
100 Vanguard Blvd., V16
Malvern, PA  19355
Tel:  (610) 503-5893
Fax:  (610) 503-5737
Email:  Robyn_Ettricks@xxxxxxxxxxxx

NOTICE.  This communication may contain an attorney-client communication
and/or attorney work product and, as such, is privileged and confidential.
 If you are not an intended recipient, then any review, printing, copying
or distribution of any such information is prohibited.

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT. The information contained in this e-mail message,
including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the
property of, Vanguard. The information is intended for use solely by the
individual or entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient
or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or
distribution of any such information is prohibited, and please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.