ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[tmch-strawman]

Toy Industry Support for LPRs

  • To: "tmch-strawman@xxxxxxxxx" <tmch-strawman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Toy Industry Support for LPRs
  • From: "Desmond, Edward" <EDesmond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 22:54:57 +0000

To Karen Lentz, ICAAN Staff:

The Toy Industry Association (TIA), representing over 550 toy industry members,
submits these comments in support of the proposal for Limited Preventative
Registrations (LPRs).  LPRs are the only current or proposed RPM that will
provide our company and our customers long-term protection from false and
misleading domain names and websites.  Without LPRs, we will be forced to incur
huge and damaging costs to register domain names we do not want in hundreds of
new gTLDs, at prohibitive expense, to protect our consumers and our reputation.

We also support the "Strawman Solution" proposal currently being considered in
connection with the roll out of the new gTLDs, but with reservations.  For the
most part, the Strawman proposal is helpful but does not go far enough.
However, the Claims 2 process is too diluted to be of real value.  Brandowners
should not be asked to pay for a process where we receive no notice of the
third party registration, and the third party receives no notice of the details
of our claim - while this may appear to be an additional RPM, it will not
provide us with any meaningful protection.  Instead, the Trademark
Clearinghouse should continue in perpetuity without diminishing the protection
it offers.

Please contact me with any questions you may have.

Thank you.
[ed-desmond2]

Ed Desmond
Executive Vice President, External Affairs
Toy Industry Association
1200 G St., N.W., Suite 450
Washington, D.C. 20005
T: 202-459-0359