ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[translation-programme]

Standard list of languages: suboptimal choice

  • To: <translation-programme@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Standard list of languages: suboptimal choice
  • From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:50:04 -0400

Hi!  I just want to correct what I said regarding Korean; while the subtag
[kore] will be appropriate for a mixture of of both hangul and hanja it's not
really the right subtag for pure hangul.

Normally you should be fine with [kore] but there are times when you might want
to indentify a hangul only script.

This might happen when you are trying to translate for a specific geographic
area rather than into a standardized version of a language (although I do not
think it would be a good idea to translte into anything but a standard variant
of these languages except say, if you are translating documents into a language
as it is spoken where a conference is being hosted).

Best,

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@xxxxxxxxxxx