ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[translation-programme]

Standard list of languages: suboptimal choice

  • To: <translation-programme@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Standard list of languages: suboptimal choice
  • From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 17:36:28 -0500

Hi!I've decided to recommend using BCP 47/RFC 4646 as well. Although I really
do not see that there will be much need for scripts to be identified--except
for withKorean--as the default script should generally serve for your purposes.
 (Unless ICANN later decides to publish documents used in or interpretations
from meetings in the language of the host country--thenin some host countries
there might be a need to identify a script.  However even choosing to tag a
document as simply as possible is part of BCP 47.  This is where you find the
rules for placing the tags)  (I'm still confused however about the use of the
word "locale" in the draft, top of page 9, section 3--really I would think that
with only a limited number of translations being done for each document, the
goal would be to translate these asgenerically as possible; I think technical
language tends to vary less from country-to-country & thus lends itself to
pretty generic translations; you might get stuck in an English text with
choosing between some British & U.S. spelling but that is about it.) --C. E.
Whiteheadcewcathar@xxxxxxxxxxx