ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[travel-support-2010]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Travel Support

  • To: travel-support-2010@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Travel Support
  • From: "Fahd A. Batayneh" <fahd.batayneh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 11:40:23 +0300

*Hi,*
**
*I have attended two ICANN meetings thus far:*

   - *Paris - Funded as a fellow*
   - *Mexico City - Funded as a ccNSO member*

*Since my registry doesn't have the allotted funds to allow me to attend
ICANN meetings, I depend solely on the generosity of ICANN in getting funded
either by ICANN's fellowship program or the ccNSO. I am currently engaged in
two ccNSO working groups: "Community Wide Working Group on Geo Regions" +
"Strategic and Operational Planning Interaction Committee".*
**
*My first meeting in Paris was the meeting that got me into the ICANN
community, and it also had a huge impact on me becoming a ccNSO member and
an active member in two of its working groups. As a consequence, I attended
the Mexico City round as a ccNSO member. It was a great opportunity for me
to meet my peers in the two working groups face-to-face, and the discussions
were more fruitful and concrete than via telephone.*
**
*For both meetings I attended, the air fare and hotel accommodation was
excellent. However, it would have been better if I was informed of my travel
support earlier because I had a tough time obtaining my visa to Mexico. *
**
*The stipend I received in Paris (which I believe was the same for the Cairo
and Mexico City round) was not enough; it barely covered visa costs + food.
I'd suggest that the stipend fellows receive must vary depending on the
country (Cairo and Mexico City are much cheaper than Paris). However, m**y
registry was generous enough to provide me with a sufficient per Diem to
cover all other expenses.*
**
*As for the per Diem I got at the Mexico City meeting, it was more than
enough as it covered my visa, transport, food, Internet, and some touring
around. I also managed to go back home with some extra pennies.*
**
*As a summary, everything provided via ICANN's travel support is excellent.
It would be helpful if the stipend provided for the fellows vary depending
on the country the event is hosted in. Also, it would be great if ICANN can
announce the funded nominees at the earliest as possible. Finally, if ICANN
can increase the number of funded travelers via ccNSO, I think that could
increase engagement thus enhancing output from the various WG/SO/ACs.*
**
*Thank you,*
**
*Fahd A. Batayneh*
*.jo NIC*
*Amman, Jordan*

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>