ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[travel-support-2010]

More support for Digital conferencing & More "cost-optimal" Venues

  • To: travel-support-2010@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: More support for Digital conferencing & More "cost-optimal" Venues
  • From: Ken Stubbs <ken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 11:27:17 -0400

Ken Stubbs wrote:

I am writing this comment in my capacity as an individual member of the ICANN community. I was quite pleased to see in a recent article in the Australian Wall Street Journal (i.e. 8 April 2009) that Dr. Twomey has a strong statement supporting enhancing Digital Conferencing capabilities in his home country.

I would hope that ICANN would take the approach that Dr. Twomey is advocating when it comes to enhancing participation for future ICANN meetings. This is a much more practical use of resources and can greatly enhance & increase community
participation at a significantly lower cost.

There are excellent technologies available at a cost which would easily be recovered in the very first meeting that they would be used in. ICANN needs to create a small committee to investigate these alternatives to costly in-person participation at these events.

The world today is under significant economic stress and ICANN needs to show the Internet community that it acknowledges this fact and more importantly, TAKE THE LEAD in utilizing technologies which both enhance remote participation and reduce the overall costs of
holding these meetings.

The costs per person for in-person participation at these meetings has risen drastically over the last few years and ICANN needs to work hard to
find both technologies as well as optimal future venues.

Ken Stubbs