ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[travel-support-2010]

APRALO Travel Support Comments

  • To: travel-support-2010@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: APRALO Travel Support Comments
  • From: Pavan Budhrani <pavan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:14:43 +0800

We are writing to comment on the travel procedure which is posted on the
ICANN website. On behalf of APRALO, we have the following points to make.

*Visa issues*

* *

Acquiring a Visa in a timely manner is a major obstacle with the current
travel process. Some members have to send their passport as there is no
consulate in their own country. The buffer time for this is around 30 to 45
days depending on the type of passport they hold and in addition, Visas
require them to show their ticket and hotel confirmation.

*Recommendations *

We suggest the ticket and hotel confirmation be taken care of at least 45
days in advance of the suggested travel date.

*People attending meeting*

We believe that the Chair and his/her delegates and the secretariat should
attend all the ICANN meetings and also the Annual General Meeting of the
APRALO. This allows for greater understanding of issues within the RALO and
greater networking with other leaders within ICANN. In addition, it is of
utmost importance that the secretariat takes part in the secretariat meeting
at ICANN.

In addition, we also have the belief that any ALAC liaison who has a major
function at an ICANN meeting should be fully funded to travel too as it is
unrealistic for these liaisons not to attend relevant meetings and be able
to participate and contribute to such meetings. An example would be any IDN
or gTLD liaisons who were not funded to attend ICANN meetings at this stage.
This would certainly be detrimental to the ALAC and the RALO’s.

For these trips mentioned above, per diems should be paid out in a timely
manner so participants will be able to get their funds and have sufficient
time to change to another currency if needed.

* *

*APRALO AGM 2009*

The APRALO will have the first Annual General Meeting of the 2009 and 2010
fiscal year and it is important we feel to have all members of the ALS
joining this meeting. We believe this can lay down the marker being the
first one and set an example for future AGM’s for other RALOs as well. ALS
involvement was a plus factor in the summit that just finished in Mexico.
There was lots of interaction and we firmly believe that these will push
them to join more APRALO monthly meetings too and also commenting on ICANN
issues which are the main reason we exist.

--
Pavan Budhrani
Communications Manager,