ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[travel-support-2010]

Travel Support--Public Comments

  • To: travel-support-2010@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Travel Support--Public Comments
  • From: SS Kshatriy <sskshatriy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 23:05:21 -0700 (PDT)

 Hi,
This refers: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-25mar09-en.htm

I am S. S. Kshatriya, Work Team Member of GNSO Council Constituency Operations
Team (COT), an ISOC Global Member, and an Internet Consultant in India. As I am
interested in ICANN Fellowship Program, my comment will primarily focus for
that with some additional comments.

1. ICANN provides to its Fellows air tkts, accommodation and meals. $ 300/- are
given to meet other expenses. A participant in Public Meting ends up spending
money in visa expenses; taxi expenses to and from airport, and in-room service
expenses depending on his food/drink requirements and habits. There are several
other incidental expenses when one travels outside. Taxi expenses can be as
high as $200 in some cases. At times, it is required to travel to other towns
to get visa—meaning expenses in travel and stay. $ 300 is too little for that.
My suggestion is:

Let ICANN pay for limited room services such as tea/coffee/snacks and drinks.
This should be part of accommodation.
Allow a cash grant of $ 1000/- (in place of $ 300/- to meet all sundry expenses.

2. I am an Independent Member of GNSO Council Constituency Operations Team
(COT). Persons like me who are voluntary working for ICANN, and not associated
with any Body, can be encouraged, by providing travel support, once in a while
to attend Public Meetings. This will encourage such voluntary work and also,
ICANN will draw new volunteers.

3. Many of those associated with ICANN bodies are well placed in their parent
organizations. They should be encouraged to draw travel support from their
parent organizations. Money thus saved should be used to support Independent
volunteers.

4. While working as Member of PIR’s (www.pir.org) .ORG Advisory Council, I
observed that ticket bought from India for the same travel cost less than that
brought in USA (by PIR).  A participant can be given a choice to make his own
travel arrangement; ICANN paying him the ticket amount it would have otherwise
spent on it. This will give flexibility of travel/route/class etc. If the
participant saves some money, it will meet his incidental expenses. What is
important is that ICANN has not paid more and the participant is present when
he was desired to be.

Thanks and best,

S S Kshatriya (SS)
sskshatriy@xxxxxxxxx