ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[travel-support-draft]

Travel policy discussion

  • To: travel-support-draft@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Travel policy discussion
  • From: George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 15:49:55 -0400

The airlines have been very successful in imposing the outline of a class structure on those of us who travel far and often. Business class not only means more comfort, but it often imbues the traveler with status that generates a feeling of greater importance than his or her colleagues who travel economy class. I find this unfortunate.

On the other hand, I was pleased that the rules have changed for at least some ICANN staff, at least for those who were on my flight back to North American from India, and who shared economy accommodations with me. I didn't wish them discomfort, but I felt that the distinction between treatment of volunteers (economy) and treatment of staff (business) was not only inequitable, but was causing substantial antagonism and wasted energy complaining about it.

I believe that an almost all-economy travel policy is not offensive and does not degrade anyone subject to it. If the differences in fares were considerably smaller, I might feel differently, but I cannot justify paying so much more for so little time. I would make exceptions on the basis of health reasons (including size), and possibly others.

Whether the Board travels business class is not so important to me as how the overall policy is executed. If it is subject to the arbitrary whims of a travel agent who does not respect certain preferences of travelers, then the implementation will raise at least as much discontent as has existed in the past. If there is sufficient flexibility to accommodate individual preferences, including the possibility of deviations at the traveler's expense, and if the service is prompt, efficient and the contact is cooperative and timely (which according to some reports I have heard it has not been), then perhaps almost all of us can forget about previous inequities an get on with our work.

Just for the record, having been Chair of the the three NomComs previous to this one, I do not support preferential treatment for NomCom appointments, or for members of the NomCom or for its Chair. They should be governed by the rules of their supporting organization, committee, or Board.

George Sadowsky