ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[vi-pdp-initial-report]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

VI Initial Report - Comments from Christopher Wilkinson

• To: vi-pdp-initial-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: VI Initial Report - Comments from Christopher Wilkinson
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:51:01 +0200

The attached comments are based on only reading the VI PDP WG Initial Report. I was not able to participate in the meetings, lists and conference calls which preceded the preparation of this report. May I express my admiration for the dedication of many members of the ICANN community to this issue during recent months. My main impression is that the broad drafting of the WG's Charter and the associated GNSO Resolutions have resulted in a wide range of proposals and counter proposals many of which do not address the primary question which is: whether and, if so, when and how, a new registry should be allowed to act as its own registrar, and subject to what thresholds? I would recommend that GNSO limit its activity at this stage to answering that primary question. Other matters, and particularly reverse integration between registrars and registries, cross-ownership issues, Single Registrant registries etc. could be dealt with separately and with a more reasonable timescale. It would appear from the Initial Report that there is little prospect of comprehensive consensus on the present basis, within the time lines set by the ICANN Board and the new gTLD procedure.
I submit these comments on a Personal Basis.
Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Wilkinson.

Attachment: VI_Comments_CW_FIN.pdf
Description: Adobe PDF document

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy