ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

GoDaddy.com's intitial comments

  • To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: GoDaddy.com's intitial comments
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:00:33 -0700

I was a participant of the Whois WG. My initial comment to the GNSO
Council is in regards to the charactization of AGREEMENT within the WG's
final report.

I think it is extremely important that such charactization on any of the
points in the report be taken with a grain of salt, so to speak. Review
the last several days comments in the WG's mail list archive and you'll
see that a number of WG participants had issues with what was actually
agreed to and what wasn't.

No actual vote of the participants was taken. Agreement was only based
on no objection from those who were able to make the call on any
particular day when a point was discussed. No consideration to the
comments submitted through mail list participation were taken into
consideration when determining Agreement. Actually being on a call
should not be a requirement of having your voice/opinion heard and taken
into account.

In addition, there is no indication whatsoever as to who agreed to what.
Interest statements were taken but are of little value if there is no
way to tie in the agreeing participants with their interests. Such an
oversight just opens up the WG to capture and/or undue influence by a
particular interest group.

As a result, the final report of this WG should be looked at with a
skeptics eye. And I encourage the Council to consider carefully how such
WGs are constructed, managed, and results tallied in the future.

Tim Ruiz
GoDaddy.com