ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

WHOIS would only be private to Spammers / data miners

  • To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS would only be private to Spammers / data miners
  • From: "D Dianycis" <dianycis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:16:38 -0600

<DIV class=RTE>The main reason I would want my WHOIS to be private is to prevent
spammers / sales people / general scumbags looking to waste my time, from getting my very
private contact info.</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>If anyone has a real reason to have this info, they can request it from the
registrar.&nbsp; I also don;t think that the domain registrars should be allowed to charge to
kep my info private as that is silly (basically blackmail:&nbsp; pay us or we hand your info to
anyone with a computer).</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>Do you all really want anyone to be able to find out your phone number
(to get put on an auto dialer number for automated voices to call you all day and
night)</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>Do you all really want your fax number available so you get to your
office to find 50 fax ads for travel vacations?</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>Do you all really want your address to be posted so anyone can visit
or mail you junk?</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>Do you really need MORE spam to come to your email?</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>I see no issue with having to have a valid reason (like in domain
fraud cases) to have to ask (the registrar) for the domain owners info and then tell the
domain owner who/why they gave it out.</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>And do you really think a scam website meant to defraud people is going to
have genuine info in the WHOIS anyways?&nbsp;(only if they are complete idiots) &nbsp;And
using my simple method you would still have access to the same info, just with 1 extra step (asking
for it).</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>D.</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
target="_top">Capture the missing critters!   Play Search Queries and earn great prizes.</a> </html>