ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Do "Whois" services sniff domain searches?

  • To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Do "Whois" services sniff domain searches?
  • From: "Carlos Narváez" <crakup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:13:41 -0500

Hi,

About a month ago I was checking for some domainname through a well
known service, I didn't register the domain though.

I had found out that the domain was taken very soon afterwards I used
a searchquery on their website.

I think there is a good possibility that they take advantage of all
the searchqueries they get.. and "hijack" domains, is this legal, if
it's not, how can it be prevented?

--
Carlos Narváez
http://www.juegopixel.com