ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

pending motions regarding WhoIs database

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: pending motions regarding WhoIs database
  • From: "Dwayne Goetzel" <dgoetzel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:51:17 -0500

I understand that ICANN is considering several motions regarding the fate of
the WhoIs database.  As an intellectual property attorney representing many
diverse trademark portfolios, eliminating the WhoIs database, or restricting
its use, would be disastrous for my trademark clients.

The WhoIs database provides a convenient, accessible, and valuable source of
information for my trademark clients, particularly to determine third party
infringing use.  Without this database, the legitimate rights of trademark
owners will be seriously damaged.  I encourage you to vote on motion 2, which I
understand has been proffered by INTA (of which I am a member), and to reject
pending motions 1 and 3.

Thank you for your consideration.

Dwayne Goetzel

Dwayne K. Goetzel
Meyertons, Hood, Kivlin, Kowert & Goetzel, P.C.
700 Lavaca, Suite 800, Austin, Texas 78701
Direct Dial:  (512) 853-8860   Facsimile:  (512) 853-8801
Email:  dgoetzel@xxxxxxxxxxx