ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Who-is proposals

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Who-is proposals
  • From: "Rodrick Enns" <renns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:03:32 -0400

I understand that ICANN will be considering on October 31 three motions
that may impact public access to Who-is data, and I submit these
comments with the request that they be considered in the deliberations.

I am a lawyer in private law practice.  Our two-person firm represents a
broad spectrum of clients, from individuals and small businesses to some
of the largest and best-known brand owners in the world.  Without
exception, every single one of those clients depends on us for policing
and enforcement work that requires access to who-is information.  The
current system for accessing who-is data could certainly be improved
vastly, but any steps that would limit the obligation of registrars to
collect the information, or the right of members of the public, such as
ourselves and our clients, to access it, would seriously compromise the
ability of legitimate businesses to police counterfeiting, infringement,
and other illegitimate practices on the internet.

I strongly advocate that ICANN approve ONLY Motion 2, which I understand
would have ICANN conduct an objective study of the current system for
gathering and disseminating who-is data.

Thank you for your consideration of this important issue.

Sincerely,

Rodrick J. Enns
Enns & Archer LLP
939 Burke Street
Winston-Salem, NC  27101
(336) 723-5180
(336)723-5181 fax
renns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.ennsandarcher.com

Confidentiality Note:  This is a confidential communication, and is
intended only for those addressed above.  If you are not an intended
recipient or have received this message in error, please do not read,
copy or further disseminate it.  Please destroy the message and all the
information it contains, and advise us by return email, or by telephone
at (336) 723-5180.  Thanks.