ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Changes in Whois policy

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Changes in Whois policy
  • From: "Alfred M. Strahlberg" <strahlberg2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 07:09:03 +0200

Dear Sirs

I am a European trademark attorney, a member of INTA (serving on the OHIM
subcommittee and, as the INTA representative, on the OHIM E-Business Users
Group),  ECTA, MARQUES and ITMA and a consultant to WIPO.

I refer to the vote on three motions that will be voted on to determine the
future structure of the domain name and Whois system.

I support Motion 2 and recommmend scrapping Motions 1 and 3. If the WhoIs
database is no longer available, it will be necessary to use priced commercial
databases, even to conduct identical searches, and police and protect domain
name rights. I see no reason why this should be done except to provide more
business for vendors of commercial databases. In my opinion Whois data should
continue to be made available to the general public.

Very truly yours,

Alfred M. Strahlberg

Strahlberg & Partners
European Patent, Trademark
& Design Attorneys
P.O.Box 156
CH-3084 Wabern/Switzerland
Tel. +41 31 961 38 92/Fax +41 31 961 08 36
e-mail: strahlberg2@xxxxxxxxxx