ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Whois is an essential resource

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whois is an essential resource
  • From: "GROVES Peter" <PeterGROVES@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:29:00 +0100

I understand that changes to the Whois service are being considered and
voted on by ICANN in the near future.  I believe that any change that
would make Whois information less comprehensive or harder to come by
would be a retrograde step, and of the motions before the meeting
numbers 1 and 3 would emasculate this essential source of information
about registrants.

Motion 2, calling for a study on the uses of the system prior to making
any changes, is a reasonable proposal and I would urge its adoption to
ensure that all users of the Internet continue to have access to the
information in the Whois system.

I frequently have to resort to Whois searches in order to discover
information about registrants of domain names, for a wide variety of
reasons.  Often, domain names are registered in trading or "doing
business as" names and no legal entity is recorded in the registration
information; frequently, details are withheld on spurious privacy
grounds.  The internet is a medium that affords dishonest businesses
myriad opportunities to hide behind aliases and to cover their tracks,
and consumer protection (as well as protection for legitimate
businesses) is rudimentary.  One of the few far-from-perfect aids to
tacking the range of fraudulent activities found in cyberspace is the
Whois system, and it seems to me that far from considering ways to water
it down, thought should be given to making it more informative.  Motion
2 will be a step towards achieving that goal.

Regards

Peter Groves
Consultant
For and on behalf of Bircham Dyson Bell LLP
50 Broadway London SW1H 0BL
t   +44 (0)20 7170 0327
www.bdb-law.co.uk <http://www.bdb-law.co.uk/>
Bircham Dyson Bell

WARNING â This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not
copy, forward or use any part of it or disclose its contents to any person. If
you have received it in error please notify our system manager immediately on
+44 (0)20 7153 8555 or +44 (0)20 7227 7000. This email and any automatic copies
should be deleted after you have contacted the system manager.
This email is sent from the offices of Bircham Dyson Bell LLP, a limited
liability partnership regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority and
registered in England and Wales with registered number OC320798. Its registered
office and principal place of business is 50 Broadway, London SW1H 0BL. A full
list of members, referred to as partners by the firm, is available for
inspection on request.
Bircham Dyson Bell LLP accepts no responsibility for software viruses and you
should check for viruses before opening any attachments. Internet
communications are not secure and therefore Bircham Dyson Bell LLP does not
provide any guarantee or warranty that this message or any attachments shall
remain confidential.
To ensure client service levels and business continuity Bircham Dyson Bell LLP
operates a policy whereby emails can be read by its employees or partners other
than the addressee. This policy complies with the Telecommunications (Lawful
Business Practice) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.