ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Whois Comments

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whois Comments
  • From: "Keith Barritt" <barritt@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:06:14 -0400

I am an attorney in Washington, D.C., with a law firm specializing in
intellectual property protection, including the protection of
trademarks.

I rely on the Whois database constantly to see who owns the domain names
that incorporate client marks or similar terms.  The ready access of the
current Whois database often allows me to quickly and inexpensively
determine if a particular domain name is owned by a legitimate user of
the mark, or whether it raises red flags.

If access to Whois information were restricted, the cost of trademark
enforcement in cyberspace would escalate dramatically, resulting in less
enforcement.  Less enforcement, in turn, would encourage those who
profit from the confusion they create by use of domain names that mimic
trademarks.  The end result would be an Internet that is less reliable,
less secure, and ultimately less useful.

I urge ICANN not to adopt the OPOC proposal or otherwise restrict the
availability of information in the Whois database, and instead adopt
Motion 2 at the upcoming October 31 meeting.

Sincerely,

Keith Barritt

Fish & Richardson P.C.

1425 K Street, N.W.