ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Comments on Access to Whois Database

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments on Access to Whois Database
  • From: "Bilus, Elizabeth {PEP}" <Elizabeth.Bilus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:36:44 -0400

Dear Sir or Madam:

My company, PepsiCo, Inc., owns a number of valuable trademarks, domain
names and other intellectual property rights.  It is a normal and
necessary part of our enforcement program to investigate potential
infringements, misrepresentations, offensive content or other activities
by third parties, which can be damaging to my company's intellectual
property rights or reputation.  Access to the Whois database is an
important tool for investigating such abuses and obtaining legal
recourse against the responsible parties.  I see a legitimate need for
public access to the Whois database to allow legal redress in the
protection of the rights of trademark-owners such as my company.
Indeed, it is difficult to see how our rights could be protected if such
access were denied or curtailed.

Accordingly, I am writing in support of Motion 2 proposing that ICANN
conduct an objective and comprehensive study on the legitimate uses and
abuses of Whois data before making any policy changes regarding public
access to this information.

I appreciate your kind consideration.

Very truly yours,

Elizabeth N. Bilus
Global Beverage Intellectual Property Counsel
PepsiCo, Inc.
700 Anderson Hill Road
Purchase, New York 10577
914-253-3443