ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Support for Motion 2

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Support for Motion 2
  • From: "Jeff Storie" <jstorie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:22:01 -0500

To whom it may concern:

I am writing to express my concerns over the potential detrimental
impact of proposed changes to the "whois" system currently being
considered by ICANN. I practice IP law in Texas. I am an active member
of INTA, the International Anti Counterfeiting Coalition, AIPLA and the
Brand Protection Counsel of the American Footwear and Apparel
Association. Much of our focus is on the pursuit of counterfeiters of
branded goods and trademark infringers. Many of these operators make
significant use of the internet and in many cases conduct all of their
business via the web. Many are also cyber squatters. The information
available on the web about domain name registrants is often critical to
our investigations. There are already too many ways for these criminals
to cloak their internet activities. This economic arena ought to be more
transparent not less. To further limit the reporting of such information
would only serve to provide more cover for pirates and encourage a
disregard for intellectual property rights worldwide. I support Motion 2
proposed by INTA's Internet Committee and would ask that you make a
careful study of the impact of any changes before undertaking them. If
ICANN pursues the proposed changes recklessly, the only applause will
come from the criminal sector.

Jeff

Jeffrey W. Storie
Intellectual Property Practice Group
Decker Jones McMackin McClane Hall & Bates, P.C.
Burnett Plaza
801 Cherry Street, Suite 2000
Unit 46
Fort Worth, Texas 76102