ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Whois system

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whois system
  • From: "Willem Leppink" <Willem.Leppink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:34:09 +0200

Dear Sir / Madam

I am aware that on October 31, 2007, ICANN's policy advisory body (the
GNSO Council) will vote on three motions that will determine the future
structure of the domain name and Whois system. I would like to express
my opinion as an intellectual property lawyer.

As a lawyer representing several trade mark owners, including NGO and
governements, it is very important in our battle against counterfeiters
and people misleading the public through websites that Whois data
remains available to the public.

I would therefore very much favour motion 2:  "Advanced and supported by
INTA's Internet Committee, proposes that ICANN conduct an objective and
comprehensive study on the legitimate abuses and uses of Whois data -
before making policy changes that may permanently alter the structure of
the domain name and Whois system."

Yours sincerely,

Willem Leppink
Advocaat / Partner
DD +31 10 404 2341
F +31 10 404 2128
M +31 6 2021 0504
Secretary - Wendela van Beresteijn
DD +31 10 404 2304

Simmons &Simmons

PO Box 190 3000 AD Weena 666
3012 CN Rotterdam The Netherlands

T +31 (0)10 404 21 11
F +31 (0)10 404 23 33
www.simmons-simmons.com
Simmons &Simmons is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. A list of
partners may be inspected at each of our offices.

The content of this email and any attachments (?the email?) is confidential,
may be privileged, subject to copyright and may be read, copied and used only
by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient please notify
us by return email or telephone and erase all copies and do not disclose the
email or any part of it to any person. Email communication cannot be guaranteed
to be reliable, secure, error-free or virus-free. Accordingly, we do not accept
responsibility for any viruses, inaccuracy, incompleteness or failure to
deliver promptly or at all, information exchanged between you and us by this
means. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate with us
by email. We monitor email communications through our networks for regulatory
compliance purposes and to protect our clients, employees and business.

www.elexica.com is the award winning online legal resource powered by knowledge
from Simmons &Simmons.

Ref:DisRott-01