ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

WHOIS system

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: WHOIS system
  • From: "HUMPHRIES, Sarah" <sarah.humphries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:35:24 +0100

> Dear Sirs
>
> We write on behalf of Orange Personal Communications Services Limited and
> would like to register our comments in relation to the WHOIS system and the
> current proposed changes.
>
> The WHOIS system is very important for Orange PCSL, as the owner of an
> internationally well known brand.   Together with our Registrar, we use the
> WHOIS system daily to manage domain names, protect our intellectual
> property rights and locate and contact the true owners of problematic web
> sites.    In many cases, access to the domain name ownership information
> allows us to take swift legal action that can prevent Internet fraud (such
> as phishing websites) and other schemes that confuse and deceive the public
> in the Internet marketplace.
>
> Also being part of a company with a large number of employees, we often
> find individuals around the company have registered domain names
> themselves.  The WHOIS system allows us to track down the individual and
> arrange for our intellectual property rights to be transferred to form part
> of our centralised domain name portfolio.
>
> We understand on 31st October, ICANN will vote on three motions that will
> determine the future structure of the domain name and WHOIS system.     We
> believe the only motion suitable is Motion 2 which proposes that..."ICANN
> conduct an objective and comprehensive study on the legitimate abuses and
> uses of WHOIS data before making any policy changes...."   We ask that
> ICANN adopt Motion 2 and reject Motions 1 and 3.
>
> Yours faithfully
> Orange Personal Communications Services Limited

This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended for the above-named
person(s). It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.
Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the company. If you
receive it in error please delete it, inform the sender and do not copy,
distribute or take any action in reliance upon it.

We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current
legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and  attachments are
free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to  ensure that viruses
do not adversely affect you.

Orange Personal Communications Services Limited is an English company
(registered no. 2178917) with its address at St James Court, Great Park Road,
Almondsbury Park, Bradley Stoke, Bristol BS32 4QJ.
Orange Retail Limited is an English company (registered no. 2439104)  with its
address as above.
Orange Home UK plc is an English company (registered no. 3014367)  with its
address at Verulam Point, Station Way, St Albans, Hertfordshire  AL1 5HE.

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended
solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
France Telecom Group shall not be liable for the message if altered, changed or
falsified.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it
immediately and inform the sender.