ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Whois

  • To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Whois
  • From: "Young, Richard" <Richard.Young@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:03:27 -0500

I support Motion 2 and strongly urge that it be adopted and the
remaining Motions rejected.

We represent many clients whose valuable rights are routinely violated
in internet websites.  Oftentimes, others use our clients' identities to
confuse, deceive and mislead consumers.  Frequently, our clients'
identities are used in the commission of criminal acts  Currently, the
only means for identifying the culprit and stopping these activities is
through the Whois system.  The system is absolutely critical to
effective policing of the internet against these forms of fraud, deceit
and infringement.  Perhaps more significant, in the absence of the Whois
system, illegal activity on the internet will mushroom.  Those who would
profit through consumer deception, fraud and infringement will be free
to do so with the assurance that their identity cannot be discovered or
can only be discovered with great difficulty.  The continued growth of
the internet marketplace requires that the Whois system be continued and
maintained.

Richard W. Young
DrinkerBiddleGardnerCarton
191 North Wacker, Suite 3700
Chicago, Illinois  60606-1698
312-569-1460
312-569-3460 fax
 <mailto:richard.young@xxxxxxx> richard.young@xxxxxxx

Disclaimer Required by IRS Rules of Practice:
Any discussion of tax matters contained herein is not intended or
written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding
any penalties that may be imposed under Federal tax laws.
Unless you are the intended addressee (or authorized to receive for the
intended
addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any
information contained in the message. If you have received the message in
error,
please advise the sender by reply at helpdesk.chicago@xxxxxxx and delete the
message.
Thank you very much.