ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Whois Database Motions

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whois Database Motions
  • From: "Borchard, William M." <WMB@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:55:57 -0400

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

We are one of the leading intellectual property law firms in the United States
and we write respectfully to urge the Generic Names Supporting Organization
Council to adopt Motion 2 (and to reject Motions 1 and 3).

The public availability of Whois information is very important to us and our
clients for various reasons including:

*       When our client wishes to adopt a trademark and someone already owns
the corresponding .com domain name, we need to know with whom to communicate a
purchase offer.  When ownership is masked by the registrar, our experience is
that we have great difficulty getting any response from the owner of the domain
name.  When ownership is available, we find it very easy to complete such
transactions.

*       When our client wishes to commence a UDRP proceeding, having the real
Whois information cuts down on the expense of having to amend the complaint
later.

*       If there is a trademark infringer using the Internet, it sometimes
helps us to identify the infringer if we can find the owner of the domain name
for the website on which the infringement is occurring.

Accordingly,  we believe that a comprehensive study of the legitimate uses of
Whois data, and its abuses, would be desirable so that any changes to curb
abuses will not also destroy what is useful.  We understand that the
International Trademark Association's Internet Committee supports Motion 2 as
well.

William M. Borchard
Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman, P.C.
1133 Avenue of the Americas