ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Motion on WHOIS database

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Motion on WHOIS database
  • From: "Leigh Fulwood" <LFULWOOD@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:27:35 -0700

Dear ICANN,

Costco Wholesale Corporation, or its affiliates and subsidiaries, owns several
internationally registered trademarks and several hundred domain names.  We use
the whois database many times each week, primarily to investigate potential
trademark-infringing uses in domain names owned by others, but also for other
purposes.  While we are often frustrated at irreconcilable or apparently
incorrect information contained in whois data, we do find the data quite useful
when it is accurate.  Please do not eliminate requirements that registrars
display accurate domain name contact information.  If the objective is to
prevent abuse on the Internet--abuse of any kind (not just trademark
infringement)--eliminating that requirement would be a clear step in the wrong
direction.

Very truly yours,

Leigh Fulwood
Corporate Counsel
Costco Wholesale
999 Lake Drive
Issaquah, WA 98027
phone: 425.313.6504
fax:  425.313.8114
cell: 206.372.5927

This message may contain attorney-client privileged and/or confidential
information.  Please do not forward or redistribute it or any attachment
outside of the group of individuals with a need for it.  If you have received
this message in error, please delete it.