ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

I have seen several crimes

  • To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: I have seen several crimes
  • From: "Jay Westerdal" <jay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 12:20:34 -0700

The whois has been a tool that has solved many crimes, I have seen it
over and over again. It also allows someone to contact an owner that
is unresponsive. Instead of engaging in costly litigation to solve a
problem finding the owner and having a conversation solves a lot of
problems. If the OPOC was to occur then it might be nearly impossible
to locate an owner that has an invalid OPOC. We all know the whois is
not perfect, but it is far better then the OPOC.

How many David Smith people exist in California that have websites? If
you are trying to find an owner of a domain the OPOC simple doesn't
provide enough information. (Name and State). We need a zipcode to be
required as well. OPOC is just too over reaching.

--
Jay Westerdal
CEO, Name Intelligence