ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Whois System

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whois System
  • From: <Carole.Tricoire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:38:33 +0100

Dear Sirs,

We represent sanofi-aventis, a French corporation, and one of the world's
leading companies in the healthcare field.

We would like to give to ICANN our opinion regarding the Whois database and its
future evolution.

Sanofi-aventis is continuously victim of cybersquatting regarding its
Trademarks. By using domain names incorporating our trademarks, cybersquatters
infringe our intellectual property rights and cause confusion among our
customers. The most alarming is that several sanofi-aventis products are
selling illegally via the internet, without prescription, that is the reason
why we have to take appropriate measures to stop the illegal use of our
trademarks as internet addresses.

In this regard, the Whois database enables us to identify third parties and to
initiate legal actions to stop the illegal uses. We have around 800 domain name
infringements per year. Without the Whois contacts, we would be unable to
protect our rights on the internet sphere and would be unable to fight
counterfeiting the most efficiency as possible.

It is very important for consumers, businesses and over all for "Intellectual
Property rights" to keep the Whois database available. It will enable us to
avoid continuous infringement by following our legal actions.

Sanofi-aventis is requesting the ICANN to help businesses protect their rights
and their consumers online.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Carole Tricoire

Trademark Director
Trademark Legal Department
sanofi-aventis
82 avenue Raspail, FR 94255 Gentilly Cédex
 *  33.1.41.24.58.75 - /  33.1.41.24.15.02