ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Future structure of the Whois system

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Future structure of the Whois system
  • From: "Kanzlei Kroher Strobel" <iplaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:38:26 +0100

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to you in my capacity as an Attorney at Law specialized in
Intellectual Property Law.

As I have come to know, ICANN is considering to change the Whois system,
especially to limit the Whois search tool to just technical information.

This would make the already difficult task of combating online infringement
even more challenging. The Whois systems is indispensable for our daily work,
because it allows to identify the true owner of an infringing domain name or
website. Without this information enforcement of intellectual property rights
would be unacceptably obstructed.

I thus appeal to you to conduct an objective and comprehensive study on the
abuses and uses of Whois data before making changes that permanently alter the
structure of the Whois system to the disadvantage of those who have a valid
interest in taking action against a violation of their rights.

Sincerely,

Dr. Jürgen Kroher
Attorney at Law.
KROHER - STROBEL