ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

My Opinion on the Whois-Database

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: My Opinion on the Whois-Database
  • From: "Thuenken" <thuenken@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:24:25 +0100

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I am an attorney active in the field of trademark and unfair competition
law. My professional activity also embraces the legal advice of companies
with regard to domain name issues. In order to be able to help our clients
we are totally dependent on information about the owner and/or
administrative contact person of a domain which may be object of a legal
dispute.

Without publicly displayed domain name ownership information, it would
partially be impossible to prevent misuse committed by persons who intend to
take a free ride on other companies´ reputation and to mislead consumers by
maintaining a domain that infringes trademark rights.

I therefore ask the GNSO Council to reject Motion 1 and - instead - to adopt
Motion 2.

Regards

Dr. Alexander Thünken, LL.M.
- Rechtsanwalt -