ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

WhoIs database should be scrapped

  • To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WhoIs database should be scrapped
  • From: Steven Hambacher <sphambacher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:54:30 -0400

The Internet provides a forum for people who would otherwise
never be heard. Sometimes the information being provided can make
other people angry to the point of illegal retaliation. In those
cases, the WhoIs database does nothing more than aid criminals.
As an owner of a URL who's sole purpose is to expose the criminal
misconduct of one large company, I resent having to provide
personal information as it further exposes me to even more
retaliation.
Also, It is a "requirement" to provide a phone number when
registering a URL. Not everyone has a phone, so are you denying
URL ownership to people who can't afford or choose not to have a
phone? What difference does having a phone number make when you
already have a mailing address? Phone numbers should not be a
requirement.
I request that URL ownership can be obtained without providing
personal contact information, or at the very least, contact
information (minus phone number) that can only be accessed with a
court order and only by police.

--
Steven P. Hambacher
Winston Salem, NC