ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

proposed changes to Whois database - adoption of motion 2 on October 31, 2007

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: proposed changes to Whois database - adoption of motion 2 on October 31, 2007
  • From: "MUELLER" <mueller@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:59:01 +0100

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am a patent attorney at the German law firm "Uexküll & Stolberg" and
active in various areas of trademark law.

As far as our experience goes, the Whois system is an important and useful
database to determine the owner of a domain name. Via this database it is
possible to locate and contact the true owners of problematic web sites
which is very helpful when protecting intellectual property rights such as
trademarks. Thereby, for example deceptions of consumers in the internet
marketplace can be prevented.

Thus, we believe that the GNSO Council should adopt Motion 2, that is to
conduct an objective and comprehensive study on the uses and abuses of Whois
data before making policy changes that may permanently alter the structure
of the Whois system, and reject Motions 1 and 3.

Yours sincerely,

Fabian Müller

UEXKÜLL & STOLBERG
Patent Attorneys
Beseler Str. 4
D-22607 Hamburg

Tel. +49 40 8996540
Fax. + 49 40 89965488
E-Mail mueller <blocked::blocked::mailto:mueller@xxxxxx> @uex.de

Confidentiality Note:

The material in this transmission contains confidential information intended
only for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure or use
of this information by you is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
transmission in error, please delete it, destroy all copies, and notify
Uexkull & Stolberg by telephone(+49 40) 899 654 0. Thank you.