ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Perkins Coie comments -- ICANN WHOIS policy

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Perkins Coie comments -- ICANN WHOIS policy
  • From: "Schneller, Matthew (Perkins Coie)" <MSchneller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:50:31 -0700

Perkins Coie LLP is a law firm with offices across the United States, based in
Seattle, Washington.  We write on behalf of our clients regarding the ICANN
proposals to revise the WHOIS data system.

> History and Purpose of the WHOIS System
>
> At present, ICANN requires accredited registrars to collect and provide free
> public access to the name of the registered domain name and its name servers
> and registrar, the date the domain was created and when its registration
> expires, and the contact information for the registered domain name holder.
> Each is vitally important to trademark owners.  Assume there is a domain name
> (the "Domain Name") that is confusingly similar to a trademark (the "Mark")
> owned by a US-based commercial venture (the "Mark Owner"), and that is used
> to provide or advertise for services (the "Services") competitive with those
> provided under the Mark.
>
> The registration date allows the Mark Owner to determine whether it obtained
> rights in the Mark prior to registration of the Domain Name.  If so, the Mark
> Owner may be able to obtain transfer of the Domain Name via the Uniform
> Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy ("UDRP"); if not, the Mark Owner may
> focus on its options under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act
> ("ACPA"), 15 U.S.C. § 1125(d), which allows a Mark Owner to press a claim
> based on either bad faith registration or bad faith use by the Domain Name
> holder.  The contact information for the Domain Name holder is even more
> crucial.  It allows the Mark Owner to research whether the Domain Name holder
> may have rights or legitimate interests in the Domain Name.  It also allows
> the Mark Owner to assess whether the Domain Name holder owns other domain
> names that are confusingly similar to the Mark, and to find whether the
> Domain Name holder is a serial cybersquatter by conducting a reverse WHOIS
> searches or by researching prior UDRP and ACPA decisions.  The contact
> information also allows the Mark Owner to contact the Domain Name holder,
> inform the Domain Name holder of its rights, and potentially amicably resolve
> any dispute over the Domain Name and its contents.
>
> The "Operational Point of Contact" Proposal is Insufficient to Protect the
> Interests of Trademark Owners
>
> The proposal to require an "Operational Point of Contact" ("OPOC"), Motion #
> 1 before ICANN, proposes a new system that would strictly limit access to
> WHOIS information by substituting "proxy" data for actual contact information
> by the registrant.  In essence, the proposal formalizes proxy or privacy
> services as ICANN policy.  See Liz Gasster, Staff Implementation Notes, WHOIS
> Working Group Report at 5 (Oct. 11, 2007).  Under present experience with
> WHOIS "privacy" or "proxy" services, it is impossible to determine common
> ownership of domain names, important for determining bad faith under UDRP
> par. 4(b), and it may be difficult to determine where personal jurisdiction
> exists for a legal action.  The problem would be equally significant under
> the OPOC proposal.  Moreover, the reply rate to legitimate e-mail demands are
> [...]
Perkins Coie LLP
1201 Third Avenue, Suite 4800
Seattle, WA 98101
ph:(206) 359-3208
fax: (206) 359-4208
www.perkinscoie.com

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by
reply email and immediately delete the message and any attachments without
copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you.