ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Whois, liability and scammers

  • To: "whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx" <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whois, liability and scammers
  • From: "Bill Silverstein" <icann-comment@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 00:23:15 -0700 (PDT)

I track down and file lawsuits against spammers. A few months ago In May,
I filed a lawsuit against I recently filed suit against e360Insight, David
Linhardt and Moniker. Moniker was, and still does, providing privacy
services for a known spammer, e360Insight. (more details at
http://www.calspam.com).

By not having the registrant information public, one cannot tell who owns
the site, who to contact, or serve legal process on. Also by not having
the information public (or hidden by proxy) one cannot tell if the 1000
domain names advertised by illegal spam is from one real bad spammer or
1000 different minor spammers.

It is a criminal offense (in the USA, 18 USC 1037(4)) to send multiple
commercial e-mails from two or more domain names with materially false
information. Using a proxy service would seem to be a material
falsification of information.