ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments]

IFPI Sweden - comments

  • To: <whois-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: IFPI Sweden - comments
  • From: Magnus Mårtensson <magnus.martensson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:52:28 +0100

Below some brief comments on why IFPI Sweden thinks it's necessary with a
publicly-available WHOIS database and why we think that the adoption of
Formulation 1 would be a setback for our antipiracy activities.

IFPI Sweden is the trade- and copyright organisation for the record labels
in Sweden and IFPI Sweden's member companies represents more than 95% of the
Swedish record market. One of our main tasks is to carry out antipiracy
activities on the Internet on behalf of our member companies.

Sweden is a country with a high percentage of Internet piracy with a huge
number of people using file sharing networks on a frequent basis.

IFPI Sweden are using the WHOIS database on a daily basis in order to
determinate the identity of those conducting piracy or counterfeiting on the
Internet. We are also using the WHOIS database to identify people or
companies who are infringing record labels and artists trademarks in the
Internet.

IF IFPI Sweden, and other copyright organisations, would not have access to
the WHOIS database we would not be able to take efficient actions against
people or companies that are infringing the rights of the record labels. The
result would be that IFPI Sweden would not be able to take efficient actions
which would lead to an increase of Internet piracy in Sweden.

Finally, and in conclusion, we hereby urge ICANN not to adopt Formulation 1.

Yours sincerely

Magnus Martensson
IFPI Sweden