ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments]

support for OPoC model

  • To: <whois-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: support for OPoC model
  • From: "AB" <abadgley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:39:38 -0600

Hello,

  As a small business providing website services for clients, I find it
necessary to take additional steps to avoid the more nefarious results of
having fully public availability of domain registration information.

  I support the implementation of the OPoC model (the Operational Point of
Contact model).  I believe that complaints that it will inhibit law
enforcement activities are unfounded, as law enforcement currently has
methods available with which to obtain sensitive information when it is
necessary.  A new model can take modern concerns and crimes into account,
and be designed to minimize and/or eliminate the new breed of crime which
did not exist decades ago when the system was first envisioned.

  The OPoC model will afford this "business owner" information a level of
protection already present with current non-electronic business
registrations.  To obtain ownership information on a current small business,
one would need to make physical contact with a local court or registration
office.  I believe an electronic derivative of this 'old' method would
better serve to protect web citizens against casual criminals, as well as
more advanced groups in operation today on the internet.  It would certainly
be better then the existing method, at least in regards to the level of
privacy the public has come to expect in the United States.

Thank you very much for your time,

Andrew Badgley
Expert Electronics Design