ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-rt]

WHOIS Review

  • To: whois-rt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS Review
  • From: Debbie Monahan <dnc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 07:04:14 +1200

It is our view that broad definitions are best at this time to ensure an
adequate scope of the review.  We do, however, wish to make two general
statements at this time and look forward to contributing further as the review
progresses.

Our first statement is in relation to the role of law enforcement and access to
WHOIS information.  Our view is that WHOIS is a public service related to the
domain name registration and its operation.  In many cases the WHOIS access and
information meet the needs of Law Enforcement.  In the situations where it may
not address the needs of Law Enforcement we would prefer to see their needs
accommodated in other ways rather than changing WHOIS to meet them.

In order to remove any doubt, we would also like to see the scope of the review
clearly state that it does not impact or reflect the WHOIS policies relating to
the ccTLD community.

Debbie Monahan
.nz Domain Name Commission

Jay Daley