ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

re: Proposed ICM Registry Agreement for .XXX

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: re: Proposed ICM Registry Agreement for .XXX
  • From: "John Foulds" <jayeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:43:38 -0600

Sirs

This issue should have been closed long ago, as nothing more than a cynical
attempt by members of a commercial concern to make large profits from something
which is of no benefit to anyone but themselves. I am surprised and dismayed
that ICANN is allowing itself to be manipulated in this way.

I believe that the vast majority of adult-industry webmasters would be happy to
adopt an effective way to exclude minors from our sites. Many of us are
parents, sharing the same views as much of the general public and from a
business perspective, minors who visit our sites are pure expense. Consequently
thousands of sites have already adopted voluntary filtering labels such as
those provided by ICRA, ASCAP and others. That there are several long-standing,
well-reputed filtering options, leads to the inevitable conclusion that any
limitation in the effectiveness of filtering is not due to the lack of filters,
but to the unwillingness of parents and institutions to apply those filters to
the browsers their children use. There is neither evidence nor logical reason
to make one believe that the addition of a further filtering method is going to
change the broad picture. On the contrary, if the ease of identifying an .XXX
domain has any impact at all, it must surely be the opposite of what is
intended. Minors will be able to locate adult content even more readily than is
now the case.

I do not believe for one second that ICM has the slightest interest in the
welfare of minors or anyone else. They are motivated entirely by the belief
that most adult-industry webmasters will feel they have little choice but to
protect their existing internet presence by registering the .XXX version of
their domain(s), should that TLD be created. The essentially captive nature of
ICM's intended market is surely the reason for the extortionate price they are
proposing to put on these domains.

Finally I do not believe it is appropriate for so much real and potential
control over such a controversial internet sector to be put into commercial
hands at all. Even if this were to happen at some point, it should only be with
sufficient oversight to ensure that the primary goal of the organisation is
indeed to protect the wider public interest. I do not believe that ICM is an
organisation which has adequate reputation or history to be trusted with this
role, nor - so far as I am aware - does ICANN have the authority to provide the
necessary oversight.

In summary, were ICANN to grant this TLD, it would be opening the door to
abuse, rather than providing solutions. I am confident that is not what any of
the board members would want.

Yours faithfully
John Foulds