ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Slippery slope toward more regulation and censorship

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Slippery slope toward more regulation and censorship
  • From: "Nathaniel" <danasnate@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:31:20 -0500

Dear Sirs and Ladies:

I fully support the adult industry's freedoms on the Internet and am
even a consumer of the adult industry from time to time.  However,
creating a special domain for their use creates a slippery slope.  As
time progresses, the voluntary nature of a special domain could easily
turn into a required domain for the adult industry.  And once a special
domain is required, government regulation and morality censors quickly
follow.

I am a parent of two children, and I don't have any special programming
abilities.  But I do take the time and effort to place my children's
computer in a central and observable area, to enable free firewall and
other blocking software, and to occasionally peruse the log of sites my
children have visited.  Parents have to take the ultimate
responsibility, and the tools are already available.

Is child pornography a problem?  Yes.
Is the special domain the answer?  No.

Thank you,

B.Miller